I just upgraded this blog to WordPress 2.1 in about 3 minutes.
1. Back up your WP tables.
2. Put WP 2.1 in a new directory.
3. Run the first step that creates your config file, but go NO FURTHER (you can’t anyway without clearing out the tables that already exist)
4. Copy any plugins/themes (or other files you added) from the old directory to the new
5. Copy .htaccess from the old directory to the new
6. Run the upgrade (/wp-admin/upgrade.php)
7. Rename the old directory to name-old and rename the new directory to have the old name.
8. That’s it! WP 2.1 is running with URL that used to be old-WP!
Why am I telling you this when I could start a consulting business? Hmm, good question! :)
(pssst, wanna buy a platinum membership??
a couple people noticed a bit of a new feature this morning, so just in case anyone’s wondering…
there was an upgrade to the system this morning. if that’s the only thing you noticed, that’s a very good thing! :)
the X’s are there in case someone spams you or links when they’re not participating in whatever meme — that way you can delete the links without having to go to the main linky land site.
this was in response to users letting me know some jerk had spammed tham and asking how to delete offending links.
so there you go — Mister Linky listens and delivers! :)
If your linkies are looking a little strange, don’t panic. It may just be that your browser doesn’t have the new header script file. Try clearing your browser’s cache. Sometimes just reloading the page is all you need to do. If you’re behind a firewall, it may be that it’s caching the old file and reloading might help in that case, too. Once you’ve tried those things, if you’re still having trouble, please feel free to use the help desk.